Water Development Program
Water insecurity is one of the biggest challenges in Ukambani, forcing several residents to trek for kilometres to kilometres in search of water — water that is often not clean. One of the easiest and most effective solutions to this is a borehole. The more boreholes we can drill, the more people in Ukambani will have easier and faster access to clean water.
Mbaitu Foundation’s water development program will focus on the provision of boreholes in Machakos, Makueni and Kitui Counties. Every effort will be made to ensure equitable distribution of boreholes between all the three counties.
1. The establishment of a local implementation committee (LIC) in each village where the proposed borehole is to be implemented.
2. The LIC should consist of 6 members that should include:
- Village chief
- Women’s leader
- Local community leaders
- School Head Master or Church pastor or Donor of Communal land
- Youth leader
3. Verified free and clear title deed of the land on which the borehole will be sunk.
4. A notarized, nonrevocable and binding agreement to transfer title of the land to the LIC.
5. The agreement will include language bequeathing the land to the local village under stewardship of the LIC for posterity
6. As such the land on which the borehole sites can never be transferred back to private ownership.
7. The LIC will be required to raise 50% of the hydrogeological survey cost.
8. Mbaitu Foundation (MF) will provide the remaining 50% of the hydrogeological survey costs.
9. MF will fund boreholes up to maximum of 250 meters deep
10. The LIC will be required to provide a plan for water distribution once the bore hole is completed.
11. The LIC will develop with assistance from MF a method of selecting a management team composed of Chairman, Secretary, and Treasurer.
12. The LIC will develop a mechanism of generating income from sale of water to meet future equipment maintenance cost
13. A MF member will be a part of the Management team for at least during the first term of office of LIC after borehole water commissioning
14. The term of office of LIC will be 3 years, with maximum term of office per individual being 6 years
15. All LIC members will be Volunteers, meaning no compensation for their service.
16. The LIC will obtain borehole permits and permissions from all relevant authorities in compliance with the law and legal requirements.
17. MF will invite competitive bids for the hydrogeological survey and drilling of the borehole.
18. Once a favorable hydrogeological report is issued the title of the land will be transferred to the LIC.
19. Drilling borehole will only commence once the title has been successfully transferred to the LIC.
20. MF will fund the following costs:
- Hydrogeological Survey – 100%
- Borehole Site Mobilization – 100%
- Borehole Groundbreaking – 100%
- Borehole Drilling up to 250 meters – 100%
- Well Development – 100%
- Capping – 100%
- Slab – 100%
- Water stand, storage water tanks, piping -100%
- Solar power for submersed pump – 100%
- Test Pumping – 100%
- Pump purchase (Specified by MF) – local community Gov
- Pump installation – 100%
- Borehole inspection – 100%
- Borehole certificate of completion – 100%
- Water filtration system if needed – 100%
21. Once borehole is inspected and certified MF will issue press release announcing completion of borehole and date handover ceremony.
22. Borehole Handover ceremony to be organized by LIC